We headed to Austin, TX this year for the annual South by Southwest conference to participate in The Location Based Marketing Association’s RetailLoco event. This day-long conference within a conference brought together some of the most forward-thinking brands, retailers, and technology companies. Kudos to LBMA president Asif Khan for delivering a content-rich event, a casual atmosphere for easy networking, and a raucous after party.
I gladly moderated a panel discussion on “Measuring the Effectiveness of Location-Based Advertising”. Joining in were:
- Cassandra Stoklosa – Golfsmith, Director of Marketing
- Ian Mooney – RetailMeNot, Business Development Manager
- Jeff Brooks – Thinknear, Sr. Director, Sales
- Lee Karchawer – Placecast, National Director of Sales
The panel covered topics including:
- How different retailers have different requirements for using location, and therefore measuring effectiveness.
- What’s more valuable – location data in real-time, or built up over time?
- The steps technology companies should take to increase trust in their data.
One of the best moments of the panel came when Cassandra responded to a question on attribution. The question and answer paraphrased:
“Lots of companies are building attribution products. Are retailers and brands as excited about attribution as the vendors are?”
“Yes! The day I can wake up and see a dashboard of where my spend is driving the biggest increase in retail sales will be a very happy day.”
We look forward to being a part of future LBMA events. Thanks again to the panelists who brought smart and engaging dialogues to the group.