Out-of-home (OOH) advertising is a highly effective marketing strategy for businesses that want to reach a wider audience beyond the traditional digital and print media. OOH advertising refers to any form of advertising that targets consumers outside their homes, such as billboards, bus shelters, transit advertising, and wrapped vehicles, among others. However, measuring the effectiveness of OOH advertising can be a challenging task, especially for businesses that are new to this type of advertising. In this post, we will discuss the various methods businesses can use to measure the effectiveness of their OOH advertising campaigns, with a specific focus on wrapped vehicles and taxi toppers.
Reach and Frequency Metrics
- One of the most basic methods of measuring the effectiveness of OOH advertising is by using reach and frequency metrics. Reach refers to the number of people who see your ad, while frequency refers to the number of times they see it. To measure reach and frequency, you can use data from traffic counts, GPS tracking, and mobile devices. By knowing the number of people who pass by your ad and how often they see it, you can estimate the level of exposure your ad is receiving and make adjustments to optimize it accordingly. Geopath is the most recognized provider of this data.
Sales and Conversion Metrics
- Another way to measure the effectiveness of OOH advertising is by tracking your sales and conversion metrics. This involves monitoring the number of sales or leads that your ad generates and comparing it to your marketing budget. For instance, if you spent $10,000 on a wrapped vehicle campaign, you can track the number of sales or leads generated from that campaign and compare it to the revenue generated. By doing so, you can determine the ROI of your campaign and make informed decisions about future investments.
Brand Awareness Metrics
- Brand awareness metrics are another effective way to measure the effectiveness of OOH advertising. This involves measuring the level of brand awareness and recall among your target audience. You can do this by conducting surveys, interviews, and focus groups to gauge the impact of your ad on your target audience. For instance, you can ask them about their awareness of your brand, their recall of your ad, and their likelihood of making a purchase based on your ad.
- Digital metrics are becoming increasingly important in measuring the effectiveness of OOH advertising. This involves tracking the number of website visits, social media engagement, and other digital metrics that can be attributed to your OOH campaign. For instance, you can use location-based technology to track the number of people who visited your website after seeing your ad on a wrapped vehicle or taxi topper.
Moving out-of-home (MOOH) advertising is a newer type of OOH advertising that involves placing ads on vehicles that move around a particular area or city. This type of advertising is popular among businesses that want to target specific audiences or neighborhoods, and it can be highly effective if done correctly. However, measuring the effectiveness of MOOH advertising can be challenging, as the ads are constantly moving and the audience may only have a few seconds to see them. In this section, we will discuss some of the best measurement methodologies for MOOH advertising.
- GPS tracking is one of the most effective ways to measure the effectiveness of MOOH advertising. This involves using GPS technology to track the location of the vehicle carrying the ad and the number of people who pass by it. By doing so, you can determine the most effective routes and times for your ads and optimize them accordingly. You can also use GPS tracking to measure the number of impressions per mile (IPM), which is the number of people who see your ad per mile driven.
- Mobile engagement is becoming increasingly important in measuring the effectiveness of MOOH advertising. This involves tracking the number of people who engage with your ad on their mobile devices, such as by scanning a QR code or visiting a specific URL. By doing so, you can measure the level of engagement and interest in your ad and determine the ROI of your campaign.
Social Media Metrics
- Social media metrics are another effective way to measure the effectiveness of MOOH advertising. This involves tracking the number of social media mentions, likes, shares, and comments related to your ad. By doing so, you can measure the level of engagement and interest in your ad and determine its impact on your target audience.
Surveys and Focus Groups
- Surveys and focus groups are traditional methods of measuring the effectiveness of advertising, and they can be effective for MOOH advertising as well. This involves conducting surveys or focus groups with your target audience to gauge their awareness and recall of your ad, their likelihood of making a purchase based on your ad, and their overall perception of your brand. By doing so, you can determine the effectiveness of your MOOH advertising and make adjustments to optimize it.
In conclusion, measuring the effectiveness of MOOH advertising can be challenging, but there are various methodologies that businesses can use to determine the impact of their campaigns. By using GPS tracking, mobile engagement, social media metrics, and surveys/focus groups, businesses can gain valuable insights into the effectiveness of their MOOH advertising and make informed decisions about future investments.
The good news is that you can get true performance reports for every one of your out of home campaigns. Reveal Mobile’s patented technology allows us to measure OOH with the same sophistication as digital advertising. Reach out to speak to someone at Reveal Mobile today!