When it comes to location data, there is no issue more sensitive or more important than privacy. Tracking consumers’ locations makes all kinds of useful products and services possible — from wayfinding to weather forecasts to entertainment to personal safety. But location data, when not handled properly, can lead to annoyance, vulnerability or far worse.
Privacy has always been a ground-up issue. Public opinion and individual behaviors ultimately determine how privacy issues are raised, wrestled with and resolved. With the European Union’s passage of GDPR and the state of California’s consumer privacy act in force, the public’s preferences relative to location data management are being heard and enacted into law.
Well before these recent legislative milestones, Reveal Mobile has put years of thought and work into ensuring consumers’ location data is collected, managed and used safely, ethically and responsibly.
How We Use Location Data
At Reveal Mobile, privacy is a core value. It is central to how we collect, manage, use and sell data. In addition to being CCPA compliant, Reveal Mobile has been at the forefront of location data privacy best practices since our inception. We have implemented the privacy management recommendations of the Internet Advertising Bureau, the Network Advertising Initiative, the Future of Privacy Forum, the Mobile Marketing Association, and the California Attorney General’s office.
These are just a few of the NAI Code requirements we follow:
- We do not create segments for advertising targeted to children under 13.
- We do not collect, buy or sell sensitive data, such as social security numbers, financial account numbers, health information, sexual orientation, or genetic information.
- We obtain data from companies that are part of the NAI or another self-regulatory program.
Our company has always run on the principles of transparency and benefiting consumers, and the rule of doing no harm. In the spirit of transparency, this is how a typical consumer’s data flows into, through and out of Reveal Mobile from the moment it becomes available.
Our Location Data Best Practices
- We do not buy or sell any personally identifiable information. We do not know your name, age, gender, income, address, phone number, email address, username, password, credit card information, government issued ID numbers or any other information that would allow an advertiser to compromise your data.
- We do not match mobile devices to places that could associate people with sensitive information. These types of locations include domestic abuse shelters, dependency treatment centers, and medical facilities.
- We do not collect location data from devices used by minors.
- We never use location data or support its use for discriminatory purposes.
- Our audiences must be made up of 100 devices or more so that individuals cannot be singled out.
- We always honor the disabling of location sharing on your mobile device. If you opt out of location sharing, we do not receive your location data.
- We adhere to the Federal Trade Commission’s best practices on data security.
- Our contracts inform our customers what data we collect as well as the steps they should take to ensure their privacy policies and notifications to end users include proper disclosures.
- Based on locations people visit, and only if they opt-in to location services, they may become part of broad audience categories, such as coffee drinker, golfer or pet owner. These are designed to help ensure the ads you see are relevant and useful. Our list of standard audiences includes:
|Arts & Entertainment||Automotive||Food & Drink||Services||Shopping & Retail||Sports & Recreation||Travel|
|Amusement Park||Auto Dealer||Bakery||Hair Salon||Bicycle Store||Golf Course||Airport|
|Aquarium||Auto Repair||Bar||Spa||Book Store||Stadium||Bus Station|
|Art Gallery||Gas Station||Cafe||Banking||Cell Phone Store||Gym||Car Rental|
|Bowling Alley||Casual Dining||Florist||Clothing Store||Yoga||Lodging|
|Casino||Quick Service Restaurant||Real Estate Agency||Cosmetic Store||Train Station|
|Concert Venue||Convenience Store|
|Movie Theater||Electronics Store|
|National Park||Golf Equipment|
|Zoo||Grocery or Supermarket|
|Home Goods Store|
As a consumer with a mobile phone in your pocket or purse, you are understandably concerned about how your privacy is protected. Like you, we want our data to be treated with the utmost care. At Reveal Mobile, we treat your data like we treat our own. Whether it’s national legislation or an individual consumer’s request, we will continue to lead the way in privacy best practices, ensuring suppliers, customers, advertisers and the public are fully aware, educated and protected when it comes to location data.
We look forward to continuing and leading the conversation about location data privacy. We welcome your questions. Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.